#History #of #The #University #of #Texas #System, #University #of #Texas #System
Where is the university of texas located
History of The University of Texas System
“In a real sense there has been a University of Texas System since the beginning of The University of Texas on September 15, 1883. At that time the main university at Austin and the Medical Branch at Galveston were under the authority of the Board of Regents. Over the years, other branches and components were added to the system.” (Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities, 1986)
“The University of Texas System was established gradually.” (Margaret C. Berry, The University of Texas: A Pictorial Account of its First Century, 1980)
The Texas Constitution was adopted. Article VII provided that “The Legislature shall as soon as practicable, establish, organize, and provide for the maintenance, support, and direction of a university of the first class, to be located by a vote of the people of this State, and styled “The University of Texas.” The Legislature vested the governance of the University in the Board of Regents of The University of Texas.
Enabling Legislation was passed. “Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Texas, that there be established in this State, at such locality as may be determined by a vote of the people, an institution of learning, which shall be known as The University of Texas. The medical department of the university shall be located, if so determined by a vote of the people, at a different point from the university proper, and as a branch thereof; and the question of the location of said department shall be submitted to the people and voted separately from the propositions for the location of the main university.
By vote of the people on September 6, the Main University was selected to be located in Austin and the Medical Branch in Galveston.
Cornerstone for Old Main laid. (Old Main Building at the medical branch at Galveston.)
Classes begin at UT Austin on September 15, with 221 students (163 men, 58 women) and eight male faculty.
First commencement is held in Austin on June 14.
The Galveston medical branch campus opens.
The institution now known as UT El Paso is created as the Texas School of Mines and Metallurgy and became a part of the UT System in 1919. (In 1949, its name was changed to Texas Western College, which remained until 1967 when its name was again changed to The University of Texas at El Paso.)
Santa Rita No. 1 strikes oil. The first oil royalty payment to the Permanent University Fund was made on August 24 in the amount of $516.53.
The Texas State Cancer Hospital (now known as UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center) is created by the 47th Legislature under the authority of the Board of Regents.
The UT Dental Branch in Houston (now part of the UT Health Science Center – Houston) comes under the authority of the Board of Regents.
The University of Texas Postgraduate School of Medicine was established in Houston. (Now part of the UT Health Science Center – Houston)
The institution now known as The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center accepted for administration by the Board of Regents.
The Office of Chancellor is created by the Board of Regents. James Pinckney Hart is appointed chancellor.
Logan Wilson is named acting chancellor. (Wilson also serves as president of UT Austin from 1953 to 1960.)
Later that year, the Regents abolish the position of chancellor.
The Legislature creates the South Texas Medical School (now part of the UT Health Science Center – San Antonio).
The Regents re-establish the position of chancellor. Logan Wilson (still president of UT Austin) is reappointed as chancellor.
Harry H. Ransom is named chancellor. He serves until 1970. He also holds the office of president of UT Austin from 1960 to 1961. From 1963 to 1967 there is no office of president at UT Austin. As chancellor during these years, Ransom is the CAO of the Austin campus.
The Legislature creates the UT Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston (now part of the UT Health Science Center – Houston).
The institution now known as UT Arlington is transferred to UT from the Texas A&M system.
The Legislature changes the names of institutions within the UT System, giving them uniform designations.
The Legislature creates the UT School of Public Health in Houston (now part of the UT Health Science Center – Houston).
The Legislature creates the UT Medical School at Houston (now part of the UT Health Science Center – Houston).
The Legislature creates the UT Dental School at San Antonio (now part of the UT Health Science Center – San Antonio).
UT Dallas is established by the Legislature.
UT Permian Basin is established by the Legislature.
UT San Antonio is established by the Legislature.
Charles A. LeMaistre is appointed chancellor. He serves until 1978.
The Board of Regents reorganizes the biomedical units in Dallas, Galveston, Houston and San Antonio into four health science centers.
The UT Health Science Center at Houston is established by the Board of Regents through consolidation of several other UT entities.
The UT Health Science Center at San Antonio is established by the Board of Regents through consolidation of several other entities.
The UT Health Center at Tyler joins the UT System.
E. Donald Walker is named chancellor. He serves until 1984.
The institution now known as UT Tyler joins the UT System.
Voters approve a constitutional amendment extending use of Permanent University Fund Bonds to all institutions then in the UT or A&M systems.
Hans Mark is named chancellor. He serves until 1992.
UT Pan American joins the UT System.
UT Brownsville is established as a separate UT institution.
William H. Cunningham is named chancellor. He serves until 2000.
Voters approve a constitutional amendment that allows the modernization of the investment and spending policies of the Permanent University Fund.
R.D. Burck is named interim chancellor on June 1 and named permanent chancellor on December 6.
R.D. Burck announces that he intends to step down as Chancellor by Sept. 1, 2003, as part of an orderly plan for leadership succession.
Mark G. Yudof is named chancellor on June 21. He serves until 2008.
Kenneth I. Shine is named interim Chancellor on April 1.
Francisco G. Cigarroa is named chancellor on January 9.
Medical Schools established at UT Austin and in South Texas (UT Rio Grande Valley).
UT Rio Grande Valley authorized by Texas Legislature (Senate Bill 24).
Board approves appointment of Admiral William H. McRaven as next chancellor.
William H. McRaven begins his tenure as chancellor on January 5, 2015.
Classes begin at UT Rio Grande Valley on August 31 with more than 29,000 students. Enrollment surpasses projections by more than 1,000. UT Pan American closes and UT Brownsville continues to serve in an administration function for the upcoming year.
Larry Faulkner serves as Chancellor ad interim from June 1 through September 15.